Tuesday, October 27, 2009

learned about levys at Council last night

Mr. Bevis helped me & Matt Weinland understand a bit more about how the Levy process works, and Council's role in it. I assumed that a 5-1 vote in favor of the Levy is implicit support. Actually, the support is to have the public weigh in via voting. So it's not fair to say Council is supporting the levy. Thx Mr. Bevis - our quick chat was a help.

Related, I sense that nobody's for it. Mr. Bevis was very clear in his opposition, and I respect that. But the question I'm trying to wrestle with is: if a majority on council think it's a bad idea (no data here just a "feeling"), why go to the trouble of a ballot initiative? I appreciate the democracy ideal, for sure. But if it's not a "good idea", then shouldn't an alternate idea be floated? Still noodling with this one.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment