Wednesday, October 14, 2009

copy of flyer

Here's the flyer I've handed out to over 200 homes around the Village. The Mayor gave me feedback, saying it was too detailed, and it has and will cost me votes. I guess I'd rather you know what I believe and not vote for me than to be wishy-washy. Please vote for me, unless you and I aren't a good match.

I'm making more and will change it slightly - more of a CHEESE theme. But I hope the content remains true.


Cortney
--------------------------------
My name is Cortney Scheeser, and I’m running for Mariemont Village Council. I would like to share a little about me, my qualifications and my priorities if elected, and hopefully earn your vote.

I’m married to Amy, and we have 3 daughters, all at Mariemont Elementary. We live on Nolen Circle, and I represent District 4 as the Town Meeting Candidate. I’m very proud to have won the support of my neighbors at the Caucus Vote. By day, I’ve worked for P&G for 14 years where I’m an Analyst.

I feel I’m a good choice for Council for a number of reasons. 1) My 14 years of Business experience can help the Village operate more efficiently. For instance, P&G forces us each year to do more with less, yet we always find a way. 2) Fresh Perspective. The Village is experiencing financial trouble – fresh ideas are needed! Healthy tension of differing viewpoints seems to be missing and can hone and improve ideas. 3) Plugged in to what’s going on, thanks to my kids. 4) I am passionate about Mariemont and will work tirelessly for its Citizens.

I’m focusing on three big issues this Fall:
Budget Deficit: We must 1) Enroll Citizens to help make the right, tough choices. 2) As Village Employee Salaries and Benefits account for over 80% of the General Fund, we should review $1000 Council Salaries and the 2% Village Employee raises, considering inflation will be at or below 0%. 3) I will support passing Rumpke's recent rate hike to Citizens via the Garbage Sticker program, paired with Recycling/Composting education.

Government Communication: We must 1)open up as many lines of communication as possible as well as 2)conduct all business in public. We should reach people via ways they already communicate like social networking (Twitter, Nixle), improved email, texting, blogs, improved website, etc., along with more traditional methods of communication. We need additional avenues to `hear' the Citizen. Online surveys are a great example. Finally, all meetings should be set well in advance, be welcoming to all, be recorded, and of course be public. I’m trying to model this behavior with my Blog.

Zoning: I believe strongly that updating our Zoning, encouraging Condo and Mixed Use development, is needed and overdue. However, the current 45’ height maximum is out of balance with the 1-1/2 storey bungalows and cape cods in the neighborhood. I'm willing to concede increased surface parking, increased density, and reduced property setbacks, but I can't support the height. My analysis suggests 3 storeys (Developer requirement) can be worked into 37'; I would support a generous 40’ maximum. I love the idea of updating Zoning, but it has to be sensitive to the neighborhood.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. More information on me and my positions is available at Scheeser.blogspot.com Pls call, email, blog with any questions you may have.


Cortney Scheeser
271-4513
cscheeser@yahoo.com
www.Scheeser.blogspot.com

6958 Nolen CirPaid for by Scheeser for Council, 6950 Nolen Circle Mariemont Ohio 45227, Cortney Scheeser Treasurer

No comments:

Post a Comment