Friday, July 31, 2009

Residence Zone D


Saw an email distributed by Frank Raeon, Martin Koepke, Mark Bruggeman urging support of Residence D, and urging voters not to sign the petition to put the Zoning Change on the ballot. Here's how I responded to the email (to these three gentlemen)

-----------------

Mark,

My wife Amy shared with me your email. I too am a proponent of updated zoning that would allow our historic buildings to be built in 2009! Frankly, I’m surprised the Village didn’t address this “miss” years ago. What gets me even more excited is Mixed Use, so that we could truly replicate buildings like on the Old Town Square.

I’m forwarding an exhibit I created for the Planning Committee and Village Council, showing a buildable, attractive, alternative to the 45’ height allowed in Residence D. Would love your thoughts on my idea, as well as D in general.
-----------------------
But at the end of the day, 45 feet is out of balance with the 1-1/2 storey bungalows and cape cods in the neighborhood. I'm willing to concede parking, density, setbacks, etc for the good of the Village, but I can't support the height. We've learned what 47' looks like a la Jordan Park, so lets adjust (more than -2 feet). I'd be uncomfortable with 40' to the top of the peak, but I'd go along with it, as a goodwill compromise.
While I'm not a professional builder, I do have architectural design + residential and commercial construction experience, and I believe 3 storeys can be worked into 36.5' height (see exhibit).

Tobey Acheson stopped by Thursday, and Amy and I both signed the petition. I love the idea of improving our Zoning, but it has to be more sensitive to the neighborhood.
Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment