Thursday, July 16, 2009

Caucus a success!

I'm really pleased at how well things went tonight. I was pretty prepared, and I think my views came across in a positive way. I'm not the best public speaker, but good enough!

Ironically, Dennis Wolter tiptoed into the yard and put a flyer in my door 15 min after the event. Hopefully all my work over the past 2+ weeks will pay off on Sunday.

Here's a transcript of my remarks (although I didn't cover it all):

District 4 Caucus
July 16, 2009
Intro
• My name is
• I’m very excited to be here today to speak with you all
Agenda
• Background
• Why I’m a good choice
• If time, we can chat a couple issues
• Q&A
• Sound good?
Background
• First, how I got here
– I’ve been pretty active on a couple issues
• Zoning
• School Facilities
– And I’ve actively followed a couple more
• Mining
• Fire Department merger
– Melissa and I continued to run into each other at meetings and events
– About 2 months ago, she approached me and asked me to run for her seat – I was really flattered
– I had an interest in doing this at some point, so it was fate
– Thank you Melissa for your support and your service. And, you better vote for me
• I’m 37 Years old
• I’m married to Amy
• I have 3 daughters all at MM Elem
– 8 yr old 3rd
– Twins going into 1st who turn 6 on Monday
• Have lived in Cincinnati for 19 Years, with the exception of 3 years in Ark for work
Background, cont.
• I’ve worked for P&G for 14 years
– By day, I’m an Analyst at P&G-that means study data to solve tough business problems
– Prior to Analytics, I was an IT Guy-that means building systems to solve tough business problems
– Today I have 3 Managers who report to me, soon to be 5 or 6
– I manage $3.5 MM budget
• When not at work or at kids’ activities, I spend time Running (which is a great way to experience the Village btw), Woodworking, Painting
• I’m a historic preservation nut and love old houses
• I also try to set a good example for my kids by being a steward of the environment
Why am I a Good Choice?
• 14 years of Business experience can help the Village operate more efficiently
• P&G forces us each year to do more with less
• I’ve learned to work effectively with all types of people
• Fresh Perspective
– The Village is experiencing some difficulty – fresh ideas are needed!
– Healthy Tension of differing viewpoints seems to be missing = opportunity to hone and improve ideas
• Plugged in, thanks to my Kids
– When I’m at Swim practice, I talk to people
– When I’m at a Soccer game, I talk to people
– When I’m at PTO, I talk to people
– When I’m at School Facilities Committee meetings, I talk to people
– When I’m at the Track Meet, I talk to people
– When I’m at Indian Guides, I talk to people
• I am passionate about Mariemont and will work tirelessly for its Citizens

Issues
• Budget Shortfall
– Council has had 2 ideas:
• Eliminate Fire Department which I voted against
• Increase Property Taxes by 4.75 mils, which feels like a last resort
– Why not explore the vast middle
• Tax Office Rent?
• 2% raises?
• Involve the Community, Employees
– As I understand it today, Employees aren’t allowed to talk with Council. And that’s a missed opportunity
• Zoning
– I want to encourage development in the Village
• Need to be sensitive to the surroundings
– 1 ½ storey cape cods vs 45’ rooflines
• Need to be sensitive to Renters
– Key component of Mary Emery’s vision, and we shouldn’t squeeze out this important group
– If there are upkeep issues lets address them, not throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak
Issues, cont
• Govt Transparency
– There is an “opacity” I find concerning
– We should notify everyone well in advance of all Meetings
– Every meeting should be open to the public
• I’m leading by example here – I have a political blog I’m writing
– I commit to open and honest sharing of my views as well as what’s going on
– Scheeser.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment