Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monday's Village Council Meeting part 1

I attended both the Committee Meeting to hammer out the Zoning Residence D and the Village Council Meeting this past Monday. First the Committee Meeting.

I was surprised by the ratio of support vs concern. A lot more folks showed up in favor than have at any other public hearing. The process seems flawed to me, in that a singular Developer has any more voice than a typical participant. Each of these meetings has become Mr. Griewe's meeting, and whether or not it's improper, it looks that way. I regret not speaking last night, however all that i've put into this issue hasn't been heard - minds have been made up for months/years.

If rental conditions are the issue, then shouldn't we address it at the source? I've heard time and again of the unfair burden on rental owners. If this is the case (haven't done much investigation), then why not eliminate this burden, ratchet up requirements for upkeep, and polish our rental stock?

At the end of the day, I love the idea of mixed use, of higher density condos, of replacement of sad, architecturally unimportant buildings. But, massing and height, as well as parking are a big deal. And I believe we lost a little bit of what Mariemont is by not requiring more.

No comments:

Post a Comment