Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Monday 7/27 Council Meeting

I attended the Council Meeting last evening. It was business as usual - paying the bills, reading of resolutions, etc. The Mariemont Rec Director came asking for $3000 for improvements. While I feel for him and support (and participate) in the cause, the $3000 was handed over too easily. Could it have been $2500? $2000? Not saying what the number should be, however there was no discussion.

What I found interesting was discussion on the Village's decision to take down the Flintpoint "Heritage" Oak against the majority of Citizens' wishes. Looks like there will be legal action. I support the Citizens - this tree coming down could be a disasterous precendent for the "Tree City USA" Village. How many trees are on the driveway. I bet 100 - do we take them all down at Taxpayer expense? I do, however, feel for the Homeowner. He attended and I'm sure felt surrounded. But, if we can address the safety issue, then I'm guessing he won't have concern re leaving the tree.

The other interesting development is the Referendum on Residence Zone D. Council seemed annoyed by it, but I think it's a clever move to make sure the Will of the People is considered. I'll sign the petition if/when it comes my way. I think I would support 40 feet to the peak - not that I like it, but that I feel its a compromise; both sides will feel pain.... Density is ok as is, parking is not what I want but again in the spirit of compromise, I won't object.

Finally, I had a nice conversation with Tobey Acheson and a few other supporters of the Referendum. I like their "Don't give up the ship" attitude. Tobey is showing he has the where-with-all to derail an idea, so I'll make sure I understand his position on every controversial issue!

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment