Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monday's Village Council Meeting part 2

I attended the 7:30 Village Council Meeting and was surprised by a number of things. A couple examples:
1)Homogenous Behavior. All votes were 6-0 and were in the affirmative. I expected discussion, I expected discourse, I expected dissent. There was little to no debate on anything. I think a healthy tension in the room will lead to better decisions. We owe it to our Village to have uncomfortable discussions with the goal being the best possible outcome.

2)Lack of Budget Ideas. I expected a rich discussion on closing the half million dollar budget gap, but there was none. Mrs Judd told Council that revenue was meeting the forecast, which was a pleasant surprise, so I'm unclear as to why the gap exists. 2% raises were handed out to a number of employees. In this economic environment + Village deficit, why weren't these lowered 1%, 0.5%, or even 0%?

I would challenge each department head and each Council Member to bring a $1000 savings idea ($83/Month) to each Council Meeting. Call it a "Cover Charge". You may not enter Chambers without it.

Here's a cost saving idea that I came up with in 15 mins of research. We pay approx $1050/mo in rent for the Tax Office. Why not move to one of the many Old Town Square vacancies at approx $500/mo in rent, saving $400 x 12 = $4800 annually? This is simplistic and I'm sure doesn't take into account all issues, but I bet there's savings to be had. We need to turn over every rock and address the deficit before asking for a tax increase.

3)"Emergency" Declaration. I was dismayed by this procedural maneuver to fast track legislation, eliminating public comment/input. Reading 3 times in one sitting looks silly, not to mention improper. "Emergency" to me means H1N1, a fire, a flood, an EMERGENCY. Activating this stifles democracy and should be used as a last resort.

While the meeting was very efficient, ended early, and was comfortable, I don't believe it was in the best interest of the Village. We can do better.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment