Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fire Department Leadership Probationary Period Thoughts

Rick Hines is the new Fire Chief. Jeff Travers is the new Asst Fire Chief. Both are nearing the end of a temporary probationary period, and Council will vote on final positions this year (I think).

Background: I have heard from 4 different people concerns about status of the Fire Department over the past few months. I've heard some good feedback as well. However, I feel I need to engage when I hear about problems. I believe that much of what I'm hearing is natural in the face of change, big change: don't like the direction it's headed, "everybody" is unhappy, etc. But other issues could be early signs of real issues, ones that will need to be addressed.

More Background: I got to meet the Asst Chief on the night his probationary period began. I was a fan from the start. He's experienced, has a background in education, and he exudes leadership. However, he informed me that he wouldn't give up his full time job at Scarlet Oaks, and would take this full time job on too. I think 1 leader with 2 full time jobs isn't a sustainable setup for the Village. Rick Hines, similarly, shouldn't be expected to do 2 full time jobs.

I would like Jeff to be confirmed as Asst Fire Chief. I think he is an asset and a rare find. He's an inspiring guy. However, I want the Village to be his primary job. With as decentralized as we've setup leadership in the Dpt, I don't think it's unreasonable to request this focus. I shared this in a note to Jeff on Monday. I've taken much heat for sharing my views. I, however, think it's appropriate for me to share context before a possible 'no' vote.

One other area I've shared an opinion -my 6/22 blog specifically, is to hopefully one day recombine Chief into the Fire Department. Again, no disrespect to Rick Hines, he's presiding over the Fire Department and making strides. Many good things are happening. But as Jeff Andrews has so eloquently shared, we must design structure first, then think about the people to fill roles. Structurally, I want the healthy tension of two different leaders competing for resources, funds, etc. With no Asst Chief, cost savings are maintained. Jeff could be this guy one day - I like him and what he brings. Rick is a valuable player on the Police side - he should be Police Chief. I shared this in my note to Jeff, as well. This re-combine opinion re-shared this week has also brought much heat. It's not new, though, and I've not hidden this viewpoint.

In terms of a pending vote, I have concerns about confirming either Rick or Jeff for these 2 different reasons. If the vote were today, I would approve both only if the issues I continue to hear of show signs of improvement.

Related, I've shared the Dpt issues in question with Dennis Wolter, head of the Safety Committee. He's the right guy to address, and I should have enrolled him sooner.


Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment