Sunday, October 31, 2010

Council recap 10/25

I attended Council on 10/25 and here's what I saw

Fire Chief Vote. Concentration of power is a bad thing in government. Jeff Andrews and Andy Black have both said: get the structure right, then find the right people. Concentrating power influence and control is structurally a bad thing, so I can't get past step 1 to move on to step 2. More detail on this in a previous blog post.

Bills. I noticed Dan's cell phone bill is up significantly vs previous months. I didn't bring it up since only a 1x anomaly, but I will keep an eye on it.

Mayor's Bulletin. I appreciated Kim Sullivan's questioning of Dan on the Mayor's Bulletin comments on the now resolved Roundabout issue. Dedicating 1/4 of the real estate to beating a dead horse seemed odd. And it does not foster an environment where we might collaborate on projects.

Econ Development. We have a bit of a mess to sort out here. We desparately need ED to be a focus. Attracting new business & development, and supporting our Industrial Park are vital. And we've historically been too reactionary. The "What" is pretty clear. However, the "How" is the mess. We have many different, and I think conflicting, opinions on how to bring this to life. Dan's got a Commission idea made up of primarily non-Council. Jeff Andrews wants to make it a Council Committee (I like this). MPF has published a road map that could help either of these (I like this too). We need a Jeff to "declare" what this is, what it isn't and converge on a structure.

I think if I could set it up, it would look like:
-Council Committee
-Commission of the Citizens, Business People, chartered by this Committee
-Commission reports to the Committee
-MPF Vision Plan adopted as Committees road map.

As an aside, I thought Jeff masterfully drove his point home. Very impressive. His style is much better aligned to this job than mine. And I can learn from it. well done Jeff.

New Village Judge. As of today, I will support Judge White.


I voted in the affirmative on everything except confirming Rick H as Fire Chief. Rationale is previous post.

Cortney


------------
To watch the meeting, go to
icrctv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment