Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rationale behind 'no' fire chief vote

Mondays confirmation of Rick hines was an important vote. I chose not to comment during the meeting - I go back and forth on whether to draw attention to myself. I chose not to, knowing Rick would be confirmed. However for me, it didn't pass the "is it right for the village" test (my opinion) so I voted no.

This is a bit of the email I sent Rick Monday am giving him an early heads up.

Cortney

------------------

...successfully done the job Dan asked you to do. The improvements within the Fire Department are your making. If the vote were only about your results over the past 6 months, I would vote 'yes'. My dilemma, though is the vote is really 2 things:

#1)your performance

#2)ok'ing big structural change

On the Structural side, I remain uncomfortable. I think on principle, we should not concentrate authority and budget control across Departments. I have NO DOUBT you'll do right by both of these. But on paper, it's a setup that causes me concern. And because I can't vote for just #1, I am leaning towards a No vote....

2 comments:

  1. Hi its Cortney - made a change, combining 2 separate posts into 1. thought it easier to read this way.

    ReplyDelete