Wednesday, April 28, 2010

transcript of remarks at Council this week

Here are my notes from the Council Meeting on Monday, clarifying my belief we should wait on beginning the probationary period. Not a word for word but this is a fair look into how I'm thinking about it.

Going against the grain is hard :)


Cortney
--------------
No - Not Yet. Has nothing to do with Rick’s loyal service and his leadership within the Village

4 Reasons
1)We’re not ready
-We don’t have a job description. How will Tuesday morning be different than today?
-We haven’t had any Committee Meetings to learn about the pluses and minuses of this idea? I want to hear in a public forum from an Amberley Village, and a Mason

2)Process is lacking
-You decide on the What before you decide on the Who. Andy and Jeff both shared this concept with me back in Jan and it really resonated with me. However, we’ve mixed these two independent steps. This idea succeeds or fails around a person (a good person btw). But what happens when Rick gets an offer to be combined Chief in Milford for 25% more money? Then we’re stuck and will likely give back every dollar we’re saving.
-We’re not following the proven Decision Analysis process. Step 1 Identify the situation and understand objectives. Maybe permanent solution to leadership void. Cost savings. Improve morale. Etc. Step 2 Identify alternatives! How else can we accomplish said goals. We are not thinking big enough

3)Related, I have an alternative I believe is worth serious consideration: Eliminate Asst Fire Chief Position. Shouldn’t we vet out alternatives before concluding the 1st idea is the only or the best? Let me be clear up front, I’m taking Matt’s idea, but I am not declaring Matt is the guy. Dan chooses this, and if an outside guy was better, then so be it.
-savings same this year and potentially more money in the long term. I am willing to bet this job will be hard on Rick and he’ll come back to Council and ask for a strong Assistant Police Chief. I know I would. If this happens, we’ll unravel the economics
-protects the boundaries of departments setup in in the Code of Ord. I like the healthy tension of independent departments, in terms of fighting for budgets
-better for morale. This option was blessed as hard but doable by the Fire/EMS folks

Is this the best idea? I don’t know. But I believe it’s worth a little back and forth in Committee to talk about it. From where I’m sitting, Dan’s idea is good, Matt’s idea (with or without Matt) is great. And I will choose great every day of the week.

4)I want to get past this 2 year civil war. A clean break with an idea like Matt’s could get us there.

Again, this isn’t about Rick’s qualities as a leader and a loyal servant. Before moving forward, we should be ready with job descriptions, decide on the WHAT before the WHO & understand Alternatives including No Asst Fire Chief, and implement a solution that eases tensions. I think we should wait.

2 comments:

  1. May I ask why all this is Dan's decision? If you look back into history, Mariemont Council is described as strong council weak mayor. Over the past months of council minutes it is not that way, it sounds as if it is driven by one person. I do not want to offend you but from the outside, it looks like that is where the changes need to start.

    Why is this Matt not a good choice? Is all the opinions of character and leadership being discussed or is this one sided as so many things seem to be?

    I hope for the future of Mariemont Residents and Employees you can do what Council or at least the real council members feels is best for the community. What I mean is the same people are favored to vote with the same people. This just an observation.

    Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cortney here. Fair question. Code of Ordinances says Mayor Appoints, Council Approves. In this case, both happened. 3 Types of votes on Monday (probably any day): Yes-I agree, Yes-I don't agree to don't want to spend political capital, No-I don't agree. (I guess there could be a 4th No-out of spite, but I doubt that happens).

    Regarding balance of power, I look forward to to our young Council asserting itself more and more as it matures.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete