Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Police Cruiser research

I'm not on the Finance Committee to officially weigh in on this issue, but I'm working up a packet for the Committee + Chief Hines, showing pros/cons + opptys to save real money year on year. This is what I do for my day job - present you with the information you need to make an educated decision. I'll be sending this on to the folks involved.

Before I jump in - one disclaimer: I know the Finance Committee will make the right choice. I'm going to share what I know/have learned as input only.

I heard loud and clear that the Impala is a lesser vehicle from the Chief last night. He's more educated on this than I for sure! My question though is: if we can save real money year on year by converting to a fleet of all fuel efficient vehicles, would it be worth considering? What if we had all Impalas; no SUVs or 8cyl cars. We would save a min $500/year per vehicle. Just like mowing the grass less frequently or eliminating a full time Police Officer, it's a tough choice, but it's a worthy investigation.

3 Vehicles today + 2 new options next year?
-Crown Victoria
-Impala
-Charger
-2011 Ford Interceptor (Taurus)
-Carbon Motors E7 (company only makes cruisers) http://www.carbonmotors.com

Research
gmfleet.com
www.gmfleet.com/pdf/2010_Impala_Police.pdf

crown-na.com
crown-na.com/pdf-documents/owners/2010-interceptor-rev0.pdf

2007 Motor Trend side by side
http://motortrend.automotive.com/40520/112-0704-police-car-comparison/index.html

I think tapping into the Center for Local Government might also be helpful. I've reached out to them but haven't heard anything back.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment