Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Council recap 4/26

I attended last nights council. Lots of important issues discussed.

Fire/Police Chief
Lots of respected citizens spoke in favor of the Police Chief as Fire Chief. My detailed remarks will be posted separately, but I spoke on why I was voting no. Not ready, no process, better alternatives are avail, need a solution that quells the unrest. The vote passed 5-1. I congratulated Rick on his win after and tried to assure him my concerns were not re him. I am a fan and appreciate his leadership and service to the Village.

ICRC
This finally came to a vote and was successful. I can't wait to open up our room to everyone interested but not able to attend in person. This is a big step fwd - something many of us campaigned on. Way to go Andy for driving this.

2% Wage Band Increase
While uncomfortable with a big 2% number, I support the increase. A few reasons: inflation or CPI is up 2.2-2.5% so far this year. Employees are partners in this. While modest from their POV, I want them to see it as an investment in efficiency. We need their help to continue to root out waste.

Too much Emergency Voting
Brian Vianello brought this up. Very fair point. I will try to back up our calendar to reduce the need for this. Emergency can look like we're ramming something through, and I know that's what I thought when I sat in the Gallery. Thanks Brian for bringing this up.

Voting
I voted in the affirmative on everything w the exception of police fire chief. ICRC is a good thing. 2% increase maximum is a fair thing. Committee Reports and Ordinances were all in order.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment