Thursday, February 18, 2010

Spinneweber Zoning Meeting

I attended the 1st half of the Zoning Meeting last evening (not on this Committee). Since it uniquely and intimately affects Dist 4, I wanted to hear more about it.

Plan is to rezone the remaining 2 4 families adjacent to Mios as Business. Mr. Spinneweber owns the Madisonville property and has plans to own the Thorndike property.

Mr. Spinneweber wants to revitalize West of the Quarter through the 4 families, including the Parking Lot. No details yet, but it could be as extreme as levelling La Rosas building, Mios Building, both 4 families, rerouting traffic, flattening/improving parking, and I'm sure adding to parking. I think it's bold, and exciting.

I have 2 concerns that we'll have to work through once a plan solidifies.
1)tearing down historic structures. Mio's isn't historic, nor is it that attractive, so I am ok with a new, better building there. 4 families are not historic either. Extending downtown another 1/4 block is exciting! La Rosa's, though is historic, I believe. I'd rather see a 2nd storey added there (balanced like the other side of the Theater). Then a new building from the driveway northward.
2)additional surface parking. I have stated before and firmly believe that increased surface parking is not a good thing. Mr. Spinneweber mentioned that decks don't work for suburban retail, and I'll take him at his word. He knows more than me. However he also gushed about how well the Starbucks parking works. 15 minute turnover makes it very "productive". Let's increase the productivity of the Lot behind the theater by charging for it. We did this when I volunteered with DCI downtown, helping shape the Fountain Square Garage rates back in the 90's. First 3 hours were $1, then the price jumped. We want you to come, but we don't want you to loiter.... How many spots would that really free up. Other ideas: more efficient spots on existing surface parking, Meters on the streets, Employees banned from the Lot, expanded diagonal street parking on West bound Wooster between East and Miami.

As I told Mr. Spinneweber, I am a closet architect. I love buildings, love design and construction. I know we can figure out a great plan together.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early to attend a school levy meeting, so I don't know how it ended.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment