Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mon 2/22 council

Interesting evening. Lots happened on lots of topics

Zoning. I tried but failed to clearly articulate my concern re waiving 4 of the 9 steps for a zoning change. I did a better job in a followup email to counci on tues. Pls see under separate cover. Waiving steps for a solid developer is a bad idea. If steps 1-4 aren't helpful, change w legislation.

One concern about the idea, pre any plans: a parking lot across from Paul Wright on Thorndike is extending the business district into a thriving residential area. It's a real concern for me and for District 4. My objections may go away if an attractive 5' brick wall were built around the entire of Thorndike/Parking intersection. And Paul agreed too. More to come on this.

Costs. Excited to bring a potentially large savings to the Village, without feeling incremental pain! 10 local communities bound together and saved 18% on their insurance costs. Even a few % would be a savings after cost of $2000 annual Center For Local Govt dues.

Podium. Very contentious issue, but I think it essentially goes away with ICRC requirements of a Mic. Don't like how it was handled, but I like the resolution.

I voted in the affirmative on all legislation, as all were mostly routine. The only potential Y vote that may be scrutinized is Chief Hines $12K salary if he becomes Fire Chief. I'm ok with this number if he is approved, so a yes vote is appropriate.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment