Thursday, February 11, 2010

poke by Citizen

I got an email from a citizen, calling me out for alleged flip flopping (ouch) on Residence D. It's a fair push, but after considering it, I don't ultimately see it as a reversal. a 45' proposed building on the west side of Madisonville is an easier Yes than those on the east side (up against a small residential block). 1-1/2 storey bungalows are 2 ft foundation + 9 ft 1st floor + 9 ft 2nd floor + 2 ft chimney = 22', less than 1/2 the height of 45' allowed.

I include transcript below. Names are omitted to protect the innocent :)

Cortney
-------------------
Hi,

Thanks for the note - your poke is fair. Thanks also for reading my comments; they're fodder for important conversations like this one. I can't claim to be perfect, just honest with how I'm feeling at the time. For the issue below, I guess it comes down to the word 'appropriate'. As I've shared with you and many others, 45' isn't appropriate for buildings abutting 1-1/2 storey residential blocks/neighborhoods.

As you know, supporting constituents, staying true to yourself, and doing good is a very delicate dance.

I appreciate you taking the time to write. Any other perspective on this (and other issues) would be welcome.

- - - - - - - - -
Dear Cortney,

Your Position in October, 2009 as posted on your blog (when you were campaigning to be elected):
"FUTURE
I'm confident D will be approved on 11/3, and I will respect the Voters' decision and support appropriate D projects. Rick's designs are attractive and of quality, and I will work with him to find common ground. Further, I'd like to see a Residence E that allows Multi use. If I can get traction, I'll try to introduce it.

Cortney"

Your Position in February, 2010 as posted on your blog (post election):
"First reading on Res Zone D final approval for Nolen Park and Emery Park. I so appreciate Rick's exceeding requirements for Parking, setbacks, density, but I campaigned against the 45' height (unchanged), so I will most probably vote No. Not a pound my fist no, but a no nonetheless. I hope those that disagree with me will at least appreciate my consistency.

Cortney"

I notice a definite ‘flip-flop’ so early in your tenure. (I do not see any “consistency” in these two positions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment