Wednesday, January 27, 2010

public comments idea & apology email

I felt I was too critical in my comments regarding cutting off community comments. So I sent a quick email apology. I include more for the idea I put out there vs a word for word account.

Cortney
----------------------
Had a thought about Public Comments during Council Meetings.

First, wanted to apologize if I was a bit snarky during last night's meeting (questioning the ability to ask more than 1 question). I see an opportunity to elevate these meetings and agree with Ed that it's a two-way street. And we can lead by example.

Here's my come-from state: I saw Rex shut down a 2nd question last year, and it left a bad taste in my mouth (had the perception of a heavy hand). And separately, I've spoken to more than one regular attendee about making their statements constructive. I've told them "zingers" aren't helpful, and I think I'm seeing more thoughtful comments. As you can see, I plan on being the "polite police" if you will, this year. :)

That said, I think guidelines are smart - here's what I would recommned:
-speak one time until all have spoken (Frank Raeon tried to speak but gave up)
-if after everyone speaks, you may have a 2nd turn
-no more after 2nd
-declare these rules before public comment (I'm happy to be that guy stating the rules if it would help)

Again, sorry if I offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment