Friday, January 15, 2010

Fire Chief research

I've had a number of conversations with Citizens, a few Council, and the Mayor. I'm continuing to learn by the day. The Mayor informed me that we'll vote at the end of 1A Training for Chief Hines. And again at the end of Probation. This is different than I heard at Monday's Council Meeting. But it makes sense. He also said that the 2nd layoff can be avoided if Hines becomes Fire Chief. Separately, I also heard that a salary increase won't happen until post probation.

As I see it, there are multiple options:
Hines as Fire Chief 36hr Training
Hines as Fire Chief 260hr Training
Other Department Head as Fire Chief 36hr
Other Department Head as Fire Chief 260hr
Morgan as Fire Chief
Morgan as Long Term Interim Fire Chief
New Fire Chief, Asst Chief remains
New Fire Chief, Asst Chief eliminated

I plan on measuring each based on factors like:
Safety
Cost
Organizational Health
etc

Job ahead is to evaluate these and others and eliminate many and choose between the remaining. This is a bigger job than I expected, but it's also very important to get this right. I'll find the time to make the best decision possible for 1)Residents then 2)Employees then 3)Businesses

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment