Wednesday, August 26, 2009

my bio + email with Council candidate

This blog is an attempt at honest, transparent communication with Mariemont's Citizens, with a goal of an educated, informed vote on 11/3.

Had a quick chat with a Council Candidate. Text of followup email below. Also, included is a bio doc I reapplied from Work. I'm encouraging all other candidates to fill out and share!

Cortney
---------------
Great meeting you this week. I look forward to getting to know you better, as well as figure out ways to work together now, and in January!!

Attached is a template I'm fwding to the other candidates as I obtain addresses. If you'd like to fill out, I'll share with the others (and if it's ok publish to my blog) scheeser.blogspot.com

I know we didn't get a chance to talk at great length but here are some of my beliefs/priorities:
-live within our means. i think the budget shortfall should be fixed from the demand side 1st, supply side 2nd
-open up the communication between Govt and Citizen. Perception (not sure if true or not) is that business is done behind closed doors. Technology is a great way to remedy this
-Zoning changes are overdue and support the concept, however current Zone Res D is out of balance and hope its defeated in Nov.
-protect our history and our environment. By this I mean carrot and stick behaviors to keep properties up. Plant trees in vastly greater numbers than we've historically done
(Lots more detail on the blog)
Cortney

text of Bio doc follows----------------

“Getting Personal” Tool

Name:
Cortney Scheeser

Time at Current Address
1 yr
Married/Spouse:
Y – Amy Scheeser

Time in Mariemont
1 yr
Kids (YN, #):
Y – 3

District/Address
4 – 6950 Nolen Circle

Section I – About You
1. How did you get here? Where did you grow up, go to school, where do you work?
I grew up in Sandusky, Ohio, went to School at U of Cincinnati, and started with P&G right out of College. We moved to the Village after a 3 year Business move to NW Arkansas (2005-2008)

2. Tell/Update me about you; general background, interests, outside passions, etc…
At Work: I work downtown for P&G. I’m an Engineer turned IT guy turned Business Analyst. Believe I’m a “lifer” in the BA space.
At Home: I enjoy woodworking, running, historic preservation, oil painting
Everywhere: Passionate about the environment; try to live an ever more sustainable lifestyle. Passionate about preserving our history.

3. Over the past 1-2 years what are your proudest accomplishments (professional and/or personal)?
At Work: 1 Rating (top), unveiling Kenny Shields memorial table to the entire Team. Moving direct reports on to exciting, fulfilling next assignments.
At Home: successfully moving my family back to Cincinnati, building a house for a family in Juarez Mexico (9/07, 9/08). Nearly finishing my Girls’ playhouse. Running for Council

Section II – About the Village
4. What does the Village/Council do well
Village is very welcoming. Council cares deeply for the Village.

5. What opportunities for improvement does Village/Council have
Village needs more Business in both squares, one for energy and excitement, two to meet Citizens’ & Visitors’ needs, and three to increase tax base. Council has an opportunity to enhance its communication, improving its connectedness with the Citizens

Section 3 – About Your Role on Council
6. What are your priorities on Council
Transparency – no secrets, easy Citizen access to ALL Village business
Budget – we need to do more with less, regardless of how the Levy goes in November
Zoning – want new Condo and Mixed use development to enhance tax base, but with limitations above / beyond currently set

7. What motivates you?
Personal satisfaction of a job well done, acknowledgement of good work. Shorter duration projects – make impact, move on to the next thing

8. What demotivates you?
Extremely long duration projects with no end in sight.

9. Identify your strongest talents and/or skills to be maximized on Council?
I’m a very good Analyst, I can manage large amounts of data, and I have decent database administration skills. I bring lots of energy to new work. I’m passionate about hearing the Citizen and committed to being humble/approachable

10. What are you most worried about on Council?
Time to spend on Village Business – with 3 young kids, a full time job, and other interests, I worry about doing each with excellence.
Leading change in a Village that likes continuity

Section IV – About You Career
11. What are your political career goals/aspirations?
Village Council, complete 1-2 terms

12. Is there anything else you would like to share/discuss?
Scheeser.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment