Sunday, March 28, 2010

Council Meeting recap 3/22

I attended Council on Monday 3/22. Many topics discussed and lots of healthy back and forth.

Turn Signal at Library. I pointed out that our light request was rejected. We need a light, as I believe strongly that a turn lane only is MORE dangerous that today (staring at an opposing car blocks line of sight). We should complete an audit of who WOULD turn there vs who actually turns there to show the State of real need. I'll send a note to MHS Principal to get his ideas on how to fairly measure.

Mowing. I made two procedural mistakes, and I'm sorry about this. I signed the Committee Report, even though I was opposed. I should have gotten additional verbage saying I was on record as a "no" and then signed that. 2nd: I incorrectly voted for the acceptance of Committee Report. When I changed my vote to No, a majority then oppposed, sending it back to Committee.

Tree Program. This item was removed from the Committee Reports section of the Agenda, however I've gotten feedback from a Citizen saying there is more work to do. More to come on this.

Cortney

2 comments:

  1. Cortney, I have seen some of the banter back and forth regarding putting in a turn lane on Wooster Pike near the high school. What I think would be best suited, especially for that area which sees high traffic volume would be for what the intersection of Erie & Marburg Avenues have in the Hyde Park/Oakley area. I tried to attach a link at the bottom, but it is huge so it may not work. If it doesn't, go to the map link on Google and type in Erie & Marburg Avenue Cincinnati. Click street view and go from there. Or, better yet, just drive over there and check it out!

    In a nutshell, as you head east on Erie Avenue and approach the intersection with Marburg Avenue, both of those lanes can be used as straight lanes. However, the left lane you can turn left onto Marburg Avenue (obviously). The nice thing about that light, though, is that when it initially turns green, there is a protected arrow. After the arrow expires, you can still turn left from that lane or use it as a straight lane, making it essentially like every other 4-lane road out there. I think this may be a better option to use as it would only impede traffic from the opposite direction for a minimal amount of time when the protected arrow is lit. Plus, it would allow for both lanes to still be used as straight lanes heading eastbound and only slow traffic when someone desires to turn left from that lane.

    Rather than dedicate the entire left lane as a turn lane, this would be sort of a way to have your cake and eat it too. I would encourage you and other council members to look at this as an option to help with the traffic congestion/safety issues that are currently present at the Wooster Pike/Pocahontas intersection.

    Thanks! -Scott








    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=erie+and+marburg+avenue+cincinnati&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=28.749334,54.316406&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Erie+Ave+%26+Marburg+Ave,+Cincinnati,+Hamilton,+Ohio+45208&ll=39.144839,-84.422207&spn=0.013846,0.026522&t=p&z=15&layer=c&cbll=39.1413,-84.422219&panoid=MZhWmx9-YDi1D5sBYjoQsw&cbp=12,98.67,,0,-15.77

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortney here. Great idea - I really like it. I passed your suggestion with pix on to the folks working day to day on it. Hopefully our flexibility improves our chances. Thanks much for the legwork!

    ReplyDelete