Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Committee of whole recap 3/9

I attended (in my track sweatpants) the Committee of the Whole meeting last night to discuss permanent improvement fund, the money we invest in non regularly repeating costs: fire trucks, trees, police cruisers, trash cans etc. This is diff than the general fund which is where we have issues. Moving money is a dangerous idea and I support a separation.

Purpose of meeting was to decide how much of the $1mm balance to savings and categories by department. Note: Account is funded by Tax Levy, so spending a lot in a given year isn't an irresponsible choice. Committees will figure out particulars later.

I spoke out on 2 issues I care deeply about: recycling and trees:
I would like to see us buy recycling + trash cans. Have heard this from multiple citizens. John S. will look into how to collect and cost + design of receptacle
Trees. We allocated more than last year ($32), but $10 is ash borer removal. I talked about the need to plant 300 each year to maintain canopy, while $22 only gets us 70. I reco'd to take the allocation up to $50, which could net us 130 or so trees. Still too few but a start. We must disproportionarly invest here.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment