Sunday, November 8, 2009

Conversations with Sitting Council part 1

I've reached out to all sitting Council and so far I've talked with 3. Thanks to each for the candor and time. I've asked the same 2 questions. First question: What do you know now that you wish you would have known as a new Councilman. Why I asked: I'm a big fan of share and reapply vs invent. And not "inventing" the stubbed toes would be great.

Here's some of what I heard: reach out to Committee chairs before hot topics are discussed. Often not time to really research a topic before a decision is made. Understand the Finances (Budgets, Levys) inside and out. Make a real effort to know all the demographic differences in the Village (income, age, housing type). Many different faces to the Village. Really take the time to hear from and listen to a broad xsection of the Community. Understand in depth the history of the Village, especially plans never completed. Understand the true boundaries of the Village (this I can attest is tricky).

Question 2 to come shortly.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment