Sunday, September 22, 2013

9/9 Council

I attended Council on 9/9, and here's what I saw.

Welcome to Officer Hoffman - congrats on completing the Probationary period.  We're all looking fwd to your service to the Village.

Letter to Resident re garbage complaint.  I found the letter somewhat condescending and as typical, a "blaming" tone vs a "take responsibility" tone.  We were wrong in this case- we published (publish!) incorrect info.  Regardless, we on Council are servant leaders - we take the low place and humbly serve all.  The letter didn't reflect that, in my opinion.

HAWK Pedestrian Light @ Wooster & Belmont.  As stated in another posting, I support this, even with a cost to the Village.  It's right for many reasons; risk is low.

Farmers Market.  I am glad we'll try again next year, but I am concerned we'll not meet our commitment of a Season through October.  I find it curious that this didn't go into Economic Development for discussion.  The Mayor stated the Village paid for marketing, so we're obviously involved.  We should stay out of it completely (my preference) or jump in and act.

Monthly Council meetings.  While I love the lighter load and agree it will attract more would-be Council men and women, I think we should remain 2x month, 12 months each year.  Here's why - the Village is run in a extremely unbalanced way.  The Mayor makes nearly every decision I have been shocked to learn, and Council is usually boxed out.  This less frequent cadence will further exasperate the problem.  All of us make better decisions than any one of us - Council needs to continue to exercise its authority and responsibility to run the Village.

I voted in the affirmative on all issues as all were procedural in nature, except:  Officer Hoffman full time status - Chief's endorsement is sufficient for me.  HAWK light is reasonable.  Insurance renewal is reasonable.

Cortney
ICRCTV.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment