Monday, September 9, 2013

8/12 Council


I attended Council on 8/12/2013, and here's what I saw.

Bike Thefts.  It's very sad to see the increase in thefts.  Each chips away at our quality of life.  Joe's/Rick's idea of a digital photo is a great one - take a picture in case it's ever stolen and recovered.  Also, we must remain vigilant to lock doors and close garage doors.  I don't see it ending any time soon, but most thefts are avoidable w/ a bit of precaution.

Pool attendance down.  I worry this is a symptom of dissatisfaction by our Pool Members.  It's too soon to act, considering the cool summer we had, but I would like to see us interview residents.  It's important to provide opportunities for the Village Residents to spend more of their time and more of their money in the Village.  Our goal (unattainable) should be 100% of a residents time is spent here in the Village.

Motions made in writing.  I don't doubt Council/Mayor can demand a motion delivered in writing.  If asked, it's easy to comply.  What I can infer from the discussion is that a motion in writing can be delivered and voted on immediately.  Time isn't described in the Rules of Council.  That said, it's a likely guarantee of a failed motion.

Motions in writing part 2.  I stand by my motion at the last council meeting.  I asked for a Special Meeting within 10 days.  There was no substance to this motion - it was purely a calendaring exercise.  To suggest it was somehow underhanded is incorrect.  Rather, to demand a motion like that in writing is the concern.

Motions in writing part 3.  I have significant doubts in the Mayor's willingness to entertain a Motion he doesn't support.  So I think it's fair to ask the Solicitor:  if a motion is delivered in writing to be acted on at the next Council meeting, and considering the Mayor controls the agenda of that meeting, how does a Motion ever get read?

Rail abandonment.  I support Norfolk's abandoning of the rail lines in Fairfax and the lower 80 so that trails, and hopefully someday, light rail can be built.  I fully support the Wasson Way line since they've clearly stated they won't be a barrier to light rail transit projects.

Trash discussion.  I wish more residents would take advantage of the "white glove" service we pay for rear yard pickup.  It's a waste of money to pay for such a premium program and not use it.  I would like to see us educate (ongoing) our residents.  I think education needs to be provided ongoing to the drivers and haulers as well.  There's enough turn over to warrant it.

Trash discussion part 2.  I also believe a huge Rumpke recycle bin would be inappropriate, as would requiring it be dragged to the curb.  Residents years ago impressed upon me - Mariemont is special, rear yard service helps keep us special.

I'm disappointed we didn't act sooner to properly consider the Property and Casualty insurance renewal.  I know we've paid too much in a previous Employee Health Care Pool, but I think this should be considered.  Service is great, but I'm in more of a commodity frame of mind where low cost almost invariably wins.  Given there was no time for due dilligence, though, supporting the status quo was appropriate.

Zoning extension.  I voted no on this in 2010.  It's inappropriate to grant a variance without seeing a rendering, a drawing, or any detail on a project.  I continue to oppose this even considering the great investments those in the business community have made to enhance our Village.  I'm a no until I can see a plan.

I voted in the affirmative on all votes as they were procedural in nature.  Exceptions:  Insurance - yes since we had no other choice given time constratints.  Zoning - no since no plan.


Cortney
ICRCTV.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment