Sunday, September 23, 2012

Absent from 9/10 Council Meeting

I missed the 9/10 Council Meeting, but after reviewing the packet and minutes, here are some comments.

UC Anthropologist research.  I think this is great evidence to the sensitivity of the Lower 80 Acres, and I look fwd to his findings.  I feel the Eastern Corridor is bad for the Village if it tracks anywhere near the Little Miami River (will be Seen, Heard).

Best Recycling Rate.  This is awesome - I'm very proud of our Community's focus on this.  I would like to see us set a stretching objective of 50% within 2 years of the new garbage contract where we plan to further incent recycling by offering larger containers at cost.  One followup - this number may or may not include brush pickup.  We should get clear on how it's measured.

Theatre Tax abatement on improvements.  I fully support this - the Theatre is the heart of our Village and disproportionate investment (with conditions) is right.

Process for Tax abatement.  Once again, Council has been completely left out of the process.  72 hours notice for review is wholly inappropriate.  One person should not be steering the ship.  In all cases, the Group will make a better decision than the Group's smartest Person.  (per the book "Wisdom of Crowds").  This issue is easy to get behind, but it illuminates the dysfunction of Council/Mayor.  I am sure the founders of our Village's Government did not mean to install an Autocrat.

Andy Black vote.  I am glad that per the Solicitor, we conducted the vote legally.  While I'm not the expert, I still question this and don't understand how we can vote to fill a vacancy when there is in fact no vacancy.  I believe this fails the logic test.  Again, glad there is legal justification for our actions, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Waste Contract.  This contract has options I am not interested in pursuing, like front yard service.  I am fine to collect data on theoretical savings, but I am uncomfortable losing this important service in the Village.  I am excited to see the bids come back from this process - we may see 2 Companies bid which I believe will save the Village money.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment