Monday, July 9, 2012

Finance Committee Meeting 7/5

I attended Finance on 7/5 and here's what I saw.

USI Employee health care.  I am very concerned by the +12% increase.  The "pool" which promised savings has not delivered, and I feel partly to blame for bringing the idea forward in 2009.  While I'm scared of the increase, I support maintaining the plan that was promised to Employees before I was on the Committee.  I do think though that a 90%/10% coverage option should be considered in the future.  I learned 1/2 of the municipailies in the Pool do 80/20 which may be severe.  90/10 though might be a possible compromise.  I plan to suggest the Pool owners offer this option for next August 2013 renewal.  I also think that if we continue to see double digit increases, we should investigate exiting the pool in the future.  These increases are not sustainable.

Village Insurance (like a homeowners car & house policy).  I think we should explore alternatives to the $1000 deductible.  This is what I have at my house, so I would expect a Municipality could raise this tremendously.  I also like Dan's suggestion of looking into Liability.  I don't have his wealth of experience, so I'll defer to him if it's deemed worthy.  We'll meet on 7/9 to discuss further.

Cortney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment