Monday, July 23, 2012

7/18 Planning Commission

I attended the Planning Commission, and here's what I saw.

I believe removal of sidewalks is a very bad idea.  Council works hard to EXPAND sidewalk access in the Village; it makes no sense to remove it.  A fence by the applicant is fine, so is the removal of some aprons for car traffic.  Expanding Parking into the grass lot is ok too.  Creating a buffer by removing sidewalks sets a bad precedent (suburban model vs urban) and will lead to unsafe behavior.

While I'm disappointed the PC didn't deny the request, I am glad it was at least tabled until real, objective School data can be studied.  School patterns will quickly be established, and none of us can predict what will happen until September.

Related, I found it troubling to hear the disrespect by some in the room aimed at the Moms (and Dads) during dropoff.  We owe this group the benefit of the doubt, not a stereotype.  We need more communication, not this buffer solution.


Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment