Sunday, June 24, 2012

Council 6/11

I attended Council on 6/11 and here's what I saw.

Traffic Light on Belmont.  I tend to agree with the Resident who suggested a light will concentrate traffic.  However I support the residents who want it in terms of the 1st step:  a study.  With the data, we can make a better, more informed decision.

West St Parking.  I support this more sensitive enhancement to parking, utilizing existing blacktop.  Our opportunity is to market our parking and raise awareness.

Trees within the parking lot.  This is a worthy addition.  I think this presents an even bigger oppty - to change zoning to require tree (or maybe offer to pay for) trees per X acres of blacktop.  Think about the  environmental and aesthetic benefits to a few trees cooling the lots, lessening runoff, enhancing the view, etc:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mariemont&hl=en&ll=39.145811,-84.375274&spn=0.00165,0.003822&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=54.533615,125.244141&t=h&hnear=Mariemont,+Hamilton,+Ohio&z=19

I don't know how it would look, but I'd like to see us reapply another community's efforts to improve the look of the necessary surface lots.

Levy renewal.  While we'll dig deep during 6/25 budget discussion, I think Jeff's comments about lessening Permanent improvements revenue and increasing Gen Fund revenue (net $0) is worthy of consideration.  We seem to always have more $$ in Perm Improvements vs Gen Fund.  Why not revisit all renewals vs just continuing as we have.  I think the State cuts are going to hurt starting next year and money isn't easily mov-able across fund types.

Sidewalk process and legality in the Village.  I still don't fully understand the rules for when the Village pays vs when the homeowner pays.  But I asked the question and was told it's appropriate to pay for new sidewalks and for non-tree damaged repairs.  I would have intuitively thought the opposite.  But I've done the due diligence, asked the question, and will move forward.

I voted in the affirmative on all votes as all were procedural in nature.  The one exception:  Adleta Construction to do 2012 street work.  The bid is reasonable and the vendor is reputable.

Cortney
ICRCTV.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment