Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5/14/2012 Council Meeting

I attended Council on 5/14 and here's what I saw:

Coyotes.  There are multiple animals living somewhere south of Miami Bluff.  If coyotes are indeed dangerous to small children and pets, then they need to be removed, and the most likely method is to kill them.  I'm an animal lover, and it pains me to take this position, but safety has to take priority.  Again, though I would like to see real data/evidence from experts first.

Roof Permit Fee.  After hearing from the Building Commissioner, I think a permit is ok.  I would like to see us charge less if possible.  Since other communities don't have this permit on the books, a lower price won't put us below the 'Average'.

Sidewalks Code of Ordinances clarification.  I feel our Code of Ordinances (resident responsible for all repairs) is out sync with how we operate as a Village (resident sometimes pays, sometimes does not), still different than the Ohio Supreme Court's ruling (Village must repair damage to sidewalks caused by Village property ie trees).  We ought to scratch the paragraph completely and use the Court's ruling.  But I'm not a legal expert, and I'm not on the Rules and Law Committee.  My reco will probably go nowhere, and we'll miss a great oppty to simplify and standardize our Code.

Line item detail required for "All Other" type expenses.  After some really good debate, I agree with Dennis, huge effort for oversight is probably unnecesary.  I support breakouts of expenses for "All Other" >$1000 only.  This won't be a huge burden administratively, and yet it provides some transparency to Council.

ODOT Letter.  I am disappointed the Mayor hasn't written the letter he committed to writing within "1 - 2 weeks" after our last Council meeting.  I think we should move forward as was decided by the Planning Commission.  I will continue to push for engagement.

Liaison.  I think Carl Stich would do a fine job, however I think this is a big job. Not sure appointing someone from the Planning Commission is the right choice.  I would prefer an impartial, content expert like Chris Ertel, Village Engineer.
I voted in the affirmative on everything as all were procedural in nature except for Waste Fee exception by Emery Park which is reasonable considering they're a condo association.

Cortney
ICRCTV.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment