Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Council 11/28

pls excuse my delay in posting this. I tried unsuccessfully on 12/6, assuming it went online. Here is a direct Copy/Paste from my remarks on 12/6

Cortney
-----

I missed Council on 11/28 due to a family vacation. However, I read through the minutes, and here’s my take on the Dale Park potential acquisition for a Community Center idea. I was asked by a NKU student for my opinion and here’s what I shared. How did the idea of a community center first come up? IDEA HAS BEEN MENTIONED CASUALLY FOR A FEW YEARS. IDEA BROUGHT UP BY OUR MAYOR IN NOVEMBER.

What are the steps that need to go about to get a community center? FOR ME, IT'S PURELY A COST/EXPENSE EXERCISE (UP FRONT THEN ONGOING), THEN ENGAGEMENT WITH THE RESIDENTS TO CONFIRM INTEREST AND DETAILS AND WILLINGNESS TO FUND (TAXES). WE AREN'T STAFFED TO WRITE GRANT PROPOSALS, BUT IF POSSIBLE THIS WOULD HELP WITH THE FINANCIALS.

What are the positives and what are the negatives of having one? SAVES AND REPURPOSES AN HISTORIC BUILDING WHICH IS IMPORTANT TO ME AND OUR HISTORIC VILLAGE, PROVIDES ADDITIONAL SPACE FOR MEETINGS/ACTIVITIES. KEEPS RESIDENTS IN THE VILLAGE VS HAVING THEIR EVENTS OUTSIDE OF THE VILLAGE.

WE HAD A COMMUNITY CENTER AT ONE TIME, AND IT'S NOW A CHURCH. NOT SURE WE NEED GIVEN THE CHURCH'S SPACE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. SCHOOLS ALSO OPEN UP FOR THE PUBLIC.
COST OF MAINTAINING AN HISTORIC BUILDING IS HIGH, AND WE CAN'T BALANCE OUR BUDGET TODAY PRE THIS PROJECT, PRE THE STATE BUDGET CUTS (UP TO 15% OF OUR REVENUE GONE IN 2 YEARS). I AM CONCERNED THIS IS COST PROHIBITIVE GIVEN OUR SHRINKING REVENUE

Why will the school have to give up a part of the building to the city for the center? SCHOOL HAS ANNOUNCED IT WILL CLOSE AND VACATE THE SCHOOL IN 2012. WE WILL HAVE A LARGE VACANT BUILDING IN 2012 AND NEED A PLAN FOR IT....

What are your feelings about the center and the complications that come along with it? I THINK IT'S AN INTERESTING IDEA WORTH DISCUSSION AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT. BUT I FEEL THE BURDEN ON THE TAXPAYERS WILL BE GREAT, AND PROBABLY BE TOO GREAT FOR US TO MOVE FORWARD.


Cortney

ICRCTV.com

No comments:

Post a Comment