Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Council 11/14

2/2 failed postings. Again sorry for the delay. Remarks exactly as originally submitted on 12/6

Cortney
-------------
I attended Council on 11/14 and here’s what I saw.

Stop Sign overusage. I think we’ve been too aggressive with placemnt of signs. For my part I’ve always supported, but I need to rethink this going fwd. Stopsigns are cheap and effective, but they’re ugly and pollute the landscape visually. And while I’m not a lawyer, I think our use of them is flirting with inappropriate since they do control speed.

Overnight Parking. I think our enforcement ought to evolve to a paid sticker program. If you want to park on the street, there’s a fee associated. We ought to explore an annual fee that neutralizes the costs to manage the program. Maybe not “profit”, but at least cover expenses.

State resolution opposing centralization of income tax offices. I dislike emergency legislation and am not sure it was necessary. I may have voted differently thinking back. However I think outsourcing the office to a lower efficiency provider is not a smart decision. So I supported the resolution.

New member of ARB. I am glad for Village volunteers, and I am sure Paul Allen will do great. However, I am concerned on how the vacancy was created. The Mayor sent a note to Frank Raeon, 10 years on ARB saying his time on ARB was done. This is terribly concerning for 4 reasons: 1)Frank has more relevant experience in his little finger than all of us on Council COMBINED. 2)we should cherish and celebrate volunteerism when it happens – this is not how you treat volunteers. 3)council should have received a copy of the termination letter in the packet. This was done under the radar. 4)Dissent is necessary, patriotic even. Frank disagreeing with the Mayor is the cause for this, and I think it’s terribly small, petty, and vindictive. Council should be informed. I am frustrated by this – Council, our residents and our volunteers deserve better.

I voted in the affirmative on all votes, as all but the Tax office were procedural in nature.

Cortney

Icrctv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment