Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Attended Ham County Transportation Mtg

I attended Monday's TID (Transportation Improvement District) Committee Meeting to learn more about the Roundabout. I also met briefly with Todd Portune to discuss the issue.

What I learned
Bramble Roundabout is approved and will receive Federal Funds. Murray's missed the 2010 deadline, but there is a chance it could still be submitted this year. Col Twp's share of the cost of this 1st project is $250K.

Cost is a springboard into an area totally new to me - Bonds, TIFs, and other civic financing. I have talked with other govt leaders and have been encouraged to differently about finance conventional wisdom at the Govt level. It's not the same as personal finance - saving to spend for instance. Bonds are cheaper than a savings acct for that new fire truck, project, etc. I'm still trying to 1)wrap my mind around this mental leap and 2)understand more about how these financing vehicles work and could help Mariemont.

I remain committed to learning more about the Murray Roundabout, however a lot will have to fall into place especially as it pertains to financing. I can't see writing a check for $250K out of the perm improvement fund. We'll have to leverage other sources: private, traditional govt financing, etc.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment