Monday, December 9, 2013

conversation with Police Chief Rick Hines 11/29

I chatted with Rick re my blog posting talking about OT.  I stand by my comments, but Rick informed me of a more concerning trend:  our police salaries have fallen behind neighboring communities.  This is in part the result of big belt tightening after the Great Recession.  I think to maintain a Village with better than average amenities, we need to pay our staff a competitive wage.    I would recommend the new Council consider a 3 or 5 year glide path to get back to average and then re-evaluate.  Prerequisite would be a Center For Local Government (NGO we belong to) survey of neighboring communities to see how far we truly have to go.  Also needed is a definition of our true "peer group".

While I don't care for non emergency OT, I think total compensation needs to be commensurate with our aspirations as a Village - to be a great community.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment