Monday, October 14, 2013

Council 9/23

I attended Council on 9/23, and here's what I saw.

Loss of Town Crier Mr. Kleinfeldt.  I was sad to hear of his passing but am thankful for all the years of service in so many capacities to the Village.

1x monthly council meetings.  In a normal Village/City environment, I think this is wise:  saves cost, makes the job more appealing to would-be public officials leery of time commitment.  However, in the last 4 years I have found a very troubling imbalance between the Mayor and the Council.  The Mayor routinely oversteps his boundaries and makes decisions for the Council (see stop sign installation in my previous post or note the garbage survey sent out in Mayor's Bulletin when Health and Rec Committee is designated by Law to manage Trash).  This imbalance will be exacerbated when Council meets less often.  I don't support 1x monthly meetings with the current Mayor.

Website confusion.  I don't believe Mr. Wendel intends to confuse, and I'm sure there is an easy resolution to this issue.  I would say, however, alternatives to the narratives relayed by the Mayor's Bulletin are welcome and helpful to the Village.

Buying hard copy books.  I think this is shortsighted for 4 reasons:  cost, lack of space in the building, no legal requirement, "stale" information risk before the books are even delivered.  In this day and age, we should be sourcing information exclusively online, where permitted by law.

I voted in the affirmative on all votes as all were procedural in nature.

Cortney
ICRCTV.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment