Sunday, February 17, 2013

Council 2/11

I attended Council on 2/11, and here's what I saw.

Chief Hines email.  This memo didn't paint a clear picture of the 10th officer discussion.  I haven't weighed in on the right number of officers, nor the need for part time.  As can be seen in my previous posting, my concern is SOLELY with the Mayor and "decision rights".  The Chief's concern about the word "right" is fair, but in the context of the whole paragraph, I believe it pretty clearly relays my opinion --- Decision Rights are broken in the Village of Mariemont.  The Mayor's unilateral decision making is wrong and our Village suffers each and every time it happens.

Further discussion on hiring the 10th officer.  Jeff's comment's were spot on - I couldn't agree more.  Council should have a say in big decisions.  As stated above, I believe strongly the Mayor's continued unilateral decisions are hurting the Village.  I've said this continually:  All of us will make a better decision than the smartest person in the room.  For my part, I will poke the Mayor EVERY TIME he jumps in inappropriately.

Eastern Corridor.  I'm sad we need to move forward with this big step to hire legal counsel.  But it's the right decision.  ODOT doesn't appear to be listening - this will up the volume of our voices.

No Parking Plan.  As previously stated, the "What" is spot on, the "How" is troubling.  I don't care for the unsightly changes to the Village this will cause.  And I think there are more sensitive ways (ie red street paint), even as a test only.  I will vote no on all of these reports and ordinances.

Executive Session to talk Legal Counsel.  I confirm we talked only about the Eastern Corridor and the need for Legal Counsel.  I am very supportive of this action.

I voted in the affirmative on all votes except:  no parking plan.

Cortney
ICRCTV.COM





No comments:

Post a Comment