Saturday, February 2, 2013

Council 1/14/2013

I attended Council on 1/14 and here's what I saw.

New police officer request.  I think a 10th police officer is a worthy topic for discussion.  I think we should tread slowly as a 1 year budget help isn't a guarantee for ongoing sufficiency, especially as Estate Tax revenue from the State dries up.

Soft bid for lawn care.  I like that we're now able to avoid the costly bid process.  I support awarding the contract to Grass Cor, the vendor with the contract in 2011.  I believe they will meet our expectations for Calendar Year 2013.

Joe Stelzer for Vice Mayor.  Joe works hard for the Village and will do well in the role.  Congrats to Joe.

No votes on restricted parking on Village streets.  I think Dennis has done a very thorough job and agree principly with his Committee's recommendations.  We must allow egress for Fire vehicles.  However, I think we must do it in a way that doesn't visually detract from the Village.  Why not try something like this:
http://ecocurbsigns.com/curbpaintingalternative.html
http://www.123rf.com/photo_2136327_no-parking-along-side-a-curb-due-to-a-fire-lane.html
This doesn't harm our historic granite curbs, and it doesn't involve another unsightly sign.  Until we come up with a more sensitive way to restrict parking, I will need to vote no.

Salary Ordinance.  I wonder how our finances will shake out with a new full time police officer + reduced revenue from state cuts.  These 2 will have a material impact on our ability to grant salary increases in 2013.

Committee Assignments.  I find it unfortunate that in each of my first 4 years on Council, I was never asked about my professional experience nor my interests/passion areas.  Instead, the Mayor unilaterally decided with no input.  Again, unfortunate.

I voted in the affirmative on all other votes as all were procedural in nature.

Cortney
ICRCTV.COM




No comments:

Post a Comment