Saturday, August 25, 2012

Health and Rec 8/6

I attended the H&R 8/6 and here's what I saw.

Trash contract.  I do not support front yard service changes, but I do support adding these options to the contract big proposal so that we may obtain data on cost premiums for comparison sake only.  I think we should preserve this tradition of rear yard service in the Village.

We are at 65% of our waste going to the landfill, currently best in Hamilton County. I would like to see it at only 50% - 1/2 gets recycled!  To that end, I would like to see us offer a large can option for recyling.  Studies show more volume in the container increases the amount recycled.  I would be ok to subsidize the cost so that the homeowner would be on the hook for less that full cost.

After bigger can = more recyling, another benefit of large can is less mess as animals and wind often spread recyclables throughout the yard.  Finally, more recycling (a profit stream for Rumpke) will lower our costs and may help negotiation in future contracts.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment