Saturday, August 25, 2012

7/18 Planning Commission: West St sidewalk removal

I attended the Planning Commission (as a resident) on 7/18 and here's what I saw.

Removing sidewalks on West Street between Wooster and Madisonville Rd (opposite the school) is a bad idea.  I'm concerned it's even still under consideration.  We are a walking community who is trying to extend sidewalks (up Miami's hill, on East across Wooster, etc), not remove them.  Less sidewalks unravels what we've been praised for:  New Urbanism, an alternative to suburban sprawl's driving community model.  We should kindly thank the applicant for his offer to landscape but reject this regressive idea.

I will be watching closely as the PC reconsiders this application after school convenes.  If it again comes up, I will work hard to preserve those important West St sidewalks.


Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment