Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Attended Health & Rec/Pub Works Mtgs on 7/10/10

I attended a simultaneous H&R and PW Committee meeting on Saturday morning 7/10. We discussed in no particular order:

-playground equip for the pool. We were presented with $10K $15K $20K options. $10 is pretty basic, so we talked about Village funds paying the 1st 10, and fundraising potentially adding to this. I like a quasi "match" idea. I would also like to see a modular type like we're installing at ABB Park, so to invest over mult years

-dog park at Ann Buntin Becker Park. I like the idea and support it. Concern is the location. I would explore ABB personally, but am fine to consider other alternative locations.

-Trash Contract. We decided to increase both annual fee (lesser amt) and sticker fees (greater amt). This is hard to swallow I know, but we need to raise revenue where we can. And more on the consumption side of the equation means we're 1)giving choice so not actually a tax and 2)paying to play; more trash = more cost. I'd like to see us offer classes in both Composting and Recyling to offset need for same number of stickers per residence. I also like the 2 tiered annual fee structure based on "Attached" and "Detached" residences. Detached means no hauler efficiency and a higher cost. I also want to see NO resident exceptions to the annual fee. All should pay.

Cortney

2 comments:

  1. Mariemont doesn't need a dog park! I can't think of anything uglier or less in keeping with the "feel" of the Village. With the extreme shortage of available land in the Village, turning *any* of it over to the exclusive use by dogs would be a misuse. You can bring your dog to a regular park, but who's going to go to a "dog park" to relax, play, and hang out? Ugly, smelly, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cortney here. Thanks for the feedback - I think the lower 80 (below the pool), for instance, could be appropriate for a dog park. It's underutilized and seasonal flooding would not affect a dog park. And it's removed from the Village proper, minimizing smell, safety risk, etc.

    ReplyDelete