Tuesday, July 26, 2011

transcript of email reply re criticism of my views

Here's a partial transcript of my email re criticism of my views expressed in Council on 7/25. I've made it anonymous. 2 topics

-ideas on budget cutting
-the value I place on trees


Cortney
------------------
Wanted to reply more specifically to your comments last night. Note: I'm copying the same distribution list as last week since your concerns seems to be shared by many. Here are 2 points worth clarifying (I’ll watch the video and will respond back if there are others I’m neglecting): I do not support layoffs. I do support uncomfortable belt tightening. I do support managing headcount via attrition and packages. Within the Perm Improvement budget I believe trees deserve disproportionate investment to correct years of under investment.

1)Shared Services are an example of the “What” we might entertain. I made no mention of the “How” they could be implemented (mainly because it’s just a raw idea at this point- strongly suggested by the Governor). Shared services do not need to involve layoffs. We don’t need layoffs, and I would not support them. If the S.S. Idea was viewed as right for the Village by all of Council and reduced headcount was deemed right (again by all of Council), I would support delivering it via Attrition or Financial Separation Packages. What if we paid 1/3 of a year’s salary to someone to not work for the Village anymore? Long term ROI is fantastic, and it respects the Employee.

However, because I won’t go down a Layoff path, there are financial consequences (savings has to come from somewhere). I think employees would value no layoffs over data plans on cell phones, 2 sided B&W only copying, no Council packets, no OT, more fuel efficient vehicles, lower thermostats, and other sacrifices. Again, I’m at step 0, I have done no research, I have made no contact with employees. This is a raw idea only at this point. Further, this is not inconsistent with what I’ve written previously about Budget matters: http://scheeser..blogspot.com/2010/02/finance-committee-efforts.html

2)Trees are Number 1. I did say this, however you failed to mention it was in the context of investment within in Permanent Improvements. Recall February’s Committee of the Whole meeting was to set the Perm Improvement Budget for 2011. Within Perm Improvement, there are many priorities (General Fund priorities like salaries, uniforms, & gasoline are exceptions). I value trees as #1, worthy of the biggest % increases each year. The aging canopy is a frightening situation as confirmed this Spring by our professional Arborist. Our history (not really an investment choice right now) and Trees make Mariemont distinct and special, and these areas deserve disproportionate investment.

Going forward my plan is to continue to blog (however I will try and preface better & provide more context), to continue to press for efficiencies, to continue to be transparent, to continue to be an honest and forthcoming elected official. I will continue to be a supporter of the Employees. I will continue to collect & publish any and all ideas that may benefit the Village. I will continue to to fight for bigger budgets for Tree planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment