Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Committee of the Whole "After Meeting"

There was a lively, sometimes heated discussion out front right after the meeting on Mon. I stayed for 20-30 mins. In no particular order, I heard a lot of things:

-too much disrespect flying both ways. We've got to reign this in. I'm guilty of this in the past, to be fair, but we've all got to do better. Don't like the Mayor? Don't like a Resident? Don't like a Department? Too bad. We're all in this together, and bickering does not advance our Village, nor do anybody any good (even though it often feels good to zing somebody).

-Akron Fire Department moved to a more part time force (40+ Full Timers affected) and saved ONLY $21,000 ($500 per head). This needs to be verified. This savings idea needs further scrutiny.

-Assuming Full Time guys will come back as Part Time is unrealistic. We'll not keep continuity from the 2 affected folks. They will take their experience elsewhere.

-What am I going to do about Fire down 2 full time. I'm sensitive to this, but I'm a citizen only for 22 more days. I've said what I believe publicly (I believe Andy said the same thing one:one w Council) but it's not my fight yet. That said, I won't go and unravel a decision on day one. While it could be re-built, employees have already been affected. And they'll be working on new full time opptys. I will revisit but not right away.

-Department owners should manage their $$$. I love this idea for so many reasons. Pushes decision making down to intimate level. For instance Chief Phifer can retain a full time guy at the expense of equipment. He's the right "decider". Frees up Council's time to work on bigger fwd-looking issues. We're all part time and more focused time is a good thing. Percentage-based approach means Improving Economy, Souring Economy are handled (concern of Resident brought up during mtg)-like an accordion....

-Lack of Communication. I committed and do commit to telling you what I'm going to do before I do it. Employee perceived surprises don't build loyalty. Resident perceived surprises don't build loyalty.

We have lots of work to do in the New Year. And with all the difficulty, I'm still jazzed about rolling up my sleeves and getting to work.

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment