Sunday, July 19, 2009

Observations in Chicago

Chicago is fantastic. I always enjoy my time there. What's their secret? I'm not sure, but I think it is healthy city + tourism. Tourism, I think, fuels their development. To get tourists, you have to have something worth visiting. And foundational to "worth" is a place that locals are proud of. I notice a distinct self loathing of Cincinnati. And it's a shame. I really love Cincinnati and think it offers much. But read the Enquirer comments at the bottom of every story and you'll see what I mean. We've got to love ourselves, scars and blemishes too, before anyone else will. Enough of my pontificating.

Now, the purpose of the post. 1)Parking has changed dramatically there:
http://www.chicagometers.com/news.aspx

Might there be a way to charge for parking in the Village? And without all the meters to install/maintain? We could pay for the hardware via revenue, or we could do what Chicago does and accept fixed payment "lease", and let a 3rd party manage the system and take in all profits.

Don't love the idea of paid parking, but I like deficits less.

2)Parking is really expensive in Chicago. $30-$40/day! They don't want you to park there, and they charge accordingly. We ought to not encourage driving/parking by making it free. There should be a cost. Don't prohibit, just add a little healthy tension....

Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment